A Mouthful of Singapore!


I just got home last tuesday from a tiring vacation from Singapore. It was kind of a send off for my good friend Jet as she will be working again in Singapore and who knows when she will come home (praying next Christmas!) and my mum's overdue birthday present from my sister. I just tagged along as my passport desperately needed a stamp! Anyway's, there isnt much to review about Singapore as a whole city it just feels like a second home. You don't feel foreign as it is such a mix of different nationalities. You got your Chinese people, Malay, Indian, British, Dutch, American, Australian, Filipino..... You'll definitely find a nook where you will feel comfortable in this packed city!


Now food is sublime without a doubt, I did blog about food in Singapore on my old blog and everything I said there still complies today. Yes, you could spend thousands of pesos at the Celebrity Chef lane in Marina Bay Sands but if you really want to experience the Singapore culture and its food I suggest you turn off the Singapore travel channel and hop on the nearest MRT and find the first Hawker Center you see!

you could easily google up Singapore food and whats best to try, so here I tried some variety to jazz things up a bit! 

I can't suggest any hawkers which are best to eat but these photos down below are all I consumed in 5 days!
each meal cost me around 4-6 dollars.

At Balestier Road:














Roasted Chicken Set Meal costs 6 sgd.








The faithful Bokchoy, oh I've missed!

Spare Ribs costs 4 sgd.

I've noticed Balestier road had a lot of hawkers but quite expensive compared to others. Food costs 4-8 sgd while other hawkers are around 3-6 sgd.



One of my mum's good friends who lives in Singapore now invited us for dinner. We ate at the Singapore Swimming club near Orchard at the restaurant The Palms. They had a lot of food to offer all Asian Cuisine and some were Halal and Vegetarian.

Thai Green Curry

I forgot what this was called but its basically fried tofu with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, julienned cucumber  and peanuts for garnish. This was really nice!

This was Pan Seared Salmon with Mustard sauce, served with mashed potatoes. It was decent. But I wouldn't pay 10 dollars for something I can do better at home!


My mum and I hopped to Chinatown to eat a quick lunch at a favorite stall I used to eat at back in 2011 and I was so gushed it was still there! The chicken rice and congee place nearby was gone but I was so happy I was able to see something familiar that I like there. It's the hawker just beside the OG mall when you get down the MRT, take a right to the Eu Tong Sen sign take the longest escalator ride ever and just go straight inside. On the farthest right you'll see something that looks like a low budgeted Panda Express stall but with all the combination of entrees you can think off. Mine is this beef thats sauteed with what I think is oyster sauce and their sweet and sour pork! the 2 meat 1 veg combo costs 3.90 sgd! 1veg 1 meat combo costs a whopping 2.50 sgd!

A salivating plate of goodness!


Rasapura Masters Food Court at Marina Bay Sands

Before we headed to the Gardens by the Bay we had a big lunch at Rasapura. Again, we chowed on Chicken Rice which was more tasty than the one in Balestier, and had some side dishes we couldnt finish!








My issues at some hawkers were some of the chicken were quite bloody inside, this was perfectly done and I just love wansoy (coriander)! Just brightens any dish you eat!






Congee w/ Century Egg







These crunchy baby squids were a favorite! quite spicy but seems everyone on the table couldn't get enough of it!







First time to see a bento box in a hawker center. This was in Balestier Market.


We stayed at the Ramada Hotel at Ah Hood Road a couple of minutes away from the Velocity Mall at Novena. So before we headed to Universal Studios at Sentosa we grabbed a quick bite at the Kopitiam in Novena Square.

This is day 4 now, and we are still eating Chicken!

we ended the night at Makansutra Gluttons by the Bay at Esplanade. I was so tired from all the walking in Singapore my feet were giving up on me just going to Makansutra. When we ended our meal we decided just to call a cab as we would just might call someone to provide us a wheelchair if we had to walk back to the MRT! Thank you Ate Ysai for the great meal! 

Mee Goreng





















The Famous BBQ Chicken Wings at Makansutra
Ate Ysai also introduced to me the Cereal Prawns last 2011 which I have learned to love so much!

Can't wait to make this when my friend Pauline gets back from Singapore! Her auntie gave us the recipe and some ingredients so we can make it here at home! Might just post the recipe here if auntie will allow me! :)


And of course my trip wouldn't be complete if I hadn't have Satay!



The following morning we rushed to Ikea to pick up some things we needed for the house, then had lunch again at Chinatown and went straight to the airport. Mum didnt want to join the hustle and bustle so me and Hanz went to Tampines to pick up the shoes she wanted to buy. Before heading back to Changi Airport we had a big snack:

literally a big snack.

Hot Star Taiwanese Chicken accompanied by four season lemon iced tea was a great way to say goodbye to the busy city!
One whole Chicken Breast. They wont cut it for you. You have to eat it as it is!

I know I have so much more to eat at Singapore but I think my 5 days of walking around the city gave me plenty of interesting ideas and more respect to asian cuisine. I will be back for you Singapore. Thank you for making my stomach a happy one! See you soon!


x

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.