This Might be Better than Phoebe's Cookies

Whenever I think of Cookies, I always remember that scene from F.R.I.E.N.D.S. where Phoebe tells Monica that she got her recipe from an aunt from France named "Neslee Tulloaus" of course Monica deciphers it and in that distinct shout she has she says "you mean Nestle Toll house!!??" some of the best scenes I will always remember. That episode made me look at the back of a Nestle Toll house chocolate chip package and check out the recipe. I have made the recipe a couple of times but it seems to never come out great. It would always be either deflated or spongey/pancake-y when baked. So with the help of my mentors that is Jacques Torres, Gale Gand, Anna Olson and Alton Brown (their books have saved me from boring library dates in college!) I have created what has seemed to be the anti-fail cookies I have been so longing to create for years. And I hope in your hands it will do the same!

The basic formula or ratio to a cookie is 1 part sugar, 2 parts fat (thats your butter) and 3 parts flour. The recipe I created is based on this. From this formula you can experiment to make your best bake fair cookie. The oh-so not so secret to this cookie is 2 things: 1.) Underbaking so I don't really recommend you serving this to pregnant women unless you are using pasteurized eggs, to be sure. and 2.) Cornstarch. This has been mentioned to me a couple of times back when I was an intern. I dont know why I haven't thought of it til now. Cornstarch's velvety, silkiness texture without compromising the taste, sure helped this cookie in texture!

So this cookie is a soft and thick cookie. It will stand your milk dipping if this is your habit and the aroma that this creates in your home is nostalgic. It can stay good out in the open for 3-5 days but I can assure you if these cookies make eye contact to any human being it wont stay there for long. I can smell it now. Well of course, I'm eating one now! I will not prolong the suspense so here is the recipe!!

You will be needing:

98g Unsalted Butter
110g Brown Sugar
35g White Sugar
1 large egg (pasteurized or organic is better)
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
250g All Purpose Flour
30g Cornstarch
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
120g Bittersweet Chocolate Chips

What you should do:
Preheat your oven at 325deg F
Its better to use a Silpat or Silicone Mat but you could use the non grease paper like Glad's Cook n Bake Parchment Paper.

Cream your butter and sugar. This just means in a mixing bowl, stir your butter and brown and white sugar until they become light and color and creamy.




This is not creamed. Just combined!
This is what you are looking for! Notice the Color! And it starts to go to the sides of the bowl. Scrape down if necessary!




Now add the egg. Also add the Vanilla Extract and mix until combined.








Add the Flour, Baking Soda and Salt in a bowl and whisk together. Then add gradually maybe half a cup at a time to the egg mixture. Mix until everything is combined.

Add your chocolate chips. The best chocolate morsels in town are Nestle's and Hershey's. Both to me are great. If you want to kick it up you can use Callebaut's Callets or Ghirardelli chocolate chips. But the first two I mentioned are fine!

These are Hershey's Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips

Just mix until everything is  combined. I cant stress enough the saying "don't overmix" it does happen because the more you mix the gluten in the flour develops. And you don't want that unless you're making chocolate chip bread!

It should look like this:
Quite Sticky but can hold its form. Feel the texture. Quite silky because of the cornstarch!



Now once you have made this. You kinda need patience. Let the cookie dough sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes! Every cookie recipe calls for this resting because it will help your cookies not melt and run whilst baking and retain its thick form. Plus you're giving it time for all the ingredients to blend their flavors.

Once you've finished resting you can form a ball or what I call the "Stalagmite form" My chef back in the states taught me this technique because it'll help you have that soft center and form a nice round. it'll give you that perfect ripple effect on the cookie. It looks like this:



So once you have formed your stalagmites, turn up the oven to 350deg F and put in your cookies. Baking time should only last for 8-10 minutes only! anything beyond 10 you have made a regular cookie. We need underbaked cookies and that makes a soft and great cookie.
A tip to remember is around 5 minutes and the stalagmite formation hasn't gone down to a round form you can take it out and with a spoon pat it down than bake for 5 minutes more.

When you take it out and try to take it off the silicone mat it will definitely break so let it cool for at least 5 minutes on the baking tray than transfer it to a cooling rack and let it cool completely.

Get your milk and get ready to have a great snack!

Soft, Chewy Chocolate Cookies!




Just looking at the picture sure does make me want to have another one! So if you're trying this out let me know if it turned out great! Me and my family loves this cookie recipe I hope you do too!!

That's my cookie recipe you can share it to others but it could be our little secret! Have a great day or night wherever you are!

Toodles!
Friends and Family will love this recipe!!

xxx

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.