A Filipino Flare

Hello everyone! As February is about to end, I decided to make this quick review about this restaurant which I surprisingly enjoyed.

I visited this restaurant last January when I got an invitation by the Bistro Group through Zomato. Just a quick plug on Zomato, it's a site to search all the restaurants in the metro, like a trip advisor for food. its been around quite some time, its a small community but full of food lovers!  Countries like the UK, India and Brasil and now here in the Philippines!


so going back...



Siklab, is an almost semi-traditional restaurant is the only words I can think of describing it. the wood and metal walls contrasting the deep teal chair and tables just gives a nice ambiance to the place.

I am not one to eat Filipino food at malls or food communities just because I have found it better eating it at home or in the skirts of Manila, but Siklab, (how I find the word Siklab rolls on my tongue, like its a villain-y word plus a vampire accent, super hilarious!) might just be worth the trip.


They asked us to order anything on the menu but I think its obvious to ask for the Chef's recommendations so we went with that. A decent size of appetiser, Main Course and desserts came flying through the window. Everything that was served I kinda enjoyed! So let me show you.. first up was the:


Kuhol sa Gata
I'm not a fan of escargot but it turned out quite nice! maybe cause it was cooked in coconut cream, it hides the muddy flavor of it all. I really recommend you give this a try. a whole new experience for me. tasted like mussels to be honest! this also goes great with a tall glass of ice cold beer!


     while waiting for the main course, I was sipping my sorta mocktail mojito. Basil Lemonade that was made from calamansi juice and basil leaves is just a pinoy version of the classic mojito minus the alcohol. You can also try the green mango shake which is nice as well. I did resist myself to get one more drink.
Siklab Hot Picks
This trio of Lechon Kawali, Barbecue Chicken (sort of like Inasal Chicken) and Tuna Belly was a great variety! I was not a fan of the tuna belly, it lacked something and a little bit of salt but the other 2 was divine especially the chicken! next time i pay a visit i'll order the chicken alone. this was accompanied by Sisig rice. yes sisig rice! It felt like i just had a good swim in the beach and was ready to eat with my hands and a banana leaf. nostalgic! A must try.

Turon 2.0








This spin of our favorite merienda treat was delectable! what seems like a tuile or a sugar snap that holds as a cone, inside is a layer of banana compote, macapuno and dirty ice cream or sorbetes as we call it. These sweet little parcels of candy clouds cant get more filipino than it is! you can also try their biko with cacao nibs and a creamy latik. Goes great with your kapeng barako after a gargantious (if there is such a word) of a meal.







great food and great service. That is the formula to a great restaurant. Let me know if you've tried other entrees on the menu!

one thing I wish they had, though I know a lot will complain, but I wish they had adobo to go with that awesome sisig rice!


Toodles!



No comments:

Powered by Blogger.