How is Van Gogh's Bipolar?

Hello my friends!

I hope you have not left me yet! After 2 weeks of being idle, yes, i'm back!

We headed to Van Gogh is Bipolar for my sisters Birthday Dinner, so happy birthday Hanz!
Thats
her at Van Gogh's with her tea! Haha. If you would like to give her washi tape you can donate through me! She is obsessed with these tapes! I gave her 3 on her birthday i think she wants hundreds and the whole mt collection! Haha
Her collection is just starting but still, i think she's planning to "washify" her whole room! 

Back to Van Gogh, i honestly didn't know what to expect, as also i didn't research about it. In a way, i wanted all of us to experience the same. Based on just what I know. The owner is diagnosed with Bipolar and thats it.

So tumbling along, my sister placed a reservation and we were accommodated promptly. 
I am intentionally not putting up pictures of the place, as i don't want to spoil the thrill for you. If you want then just google it, but if you kinda want that thrill of seeing new things than just wait til you get there. Inside was like a candlelit setting. No, more of a warm, dim chandelier type with artsy paintings on the walls and one moving sorta visual art. Im not an expert on art so bare with me. Everything was so edgy and artistic and i live in the world that the only thing edgy is Lady Gaga! 

Think of it as A Filipino designer collaborated with Tim Burton for Alice in Wonderland. I think thats the best way to explain it!

Its a small place, so it was a good idea that they only accept reservations now. No more walk ins, as i bet they cant accommodate walk ins!

Outside theres a table good for about 6-7 people. Thats where we were seated. Another artsy place, Jetro (the cook and owner of Van Gogh) called it the "Shoe Garden". Literally. There were shoes hanging like vines of plants all over the place. Different kinds. It was so amusing. Like something I would've done when i was a kid.

So once seated and all of us were there, Jetro gave us a paper and pen to write down any allergies or stuff we dont eat so they can consider it in making our meals. Its a sorta 5 course, if a beverage is considered as a course meal. 1000 pesos (roughly around 23 dollars) per person. To the food!

                                


First up we had a cherry potatoes with caviar. I know his courses had names but  I forgot all of them except one. This i didn't even ask what its called. But it was delicious. I think it also had an edamame for garnish. Everything complimented each other. I wanted more!

I think this was like a lemony turkey broth with turkey strands and cashew. I loved it! It was great with the weather! Who doesnt love soup on a rainy day. The lemon in the soup gave a refreshing taste and that umph of zing to coat that hint of spice in the broth. Again it seemed i could've had just a tad bit more.

The courses came out slowly. So just a note if you really want to eat here, you have to allot 3 hours. We sat down exactly at 8pm we finished around 11pm. But its worth the wait! While waiting you could have unlimited tea! Tea selections are fair. I just couldn't decide what teapot to use! They have so many!
My posh teacup and teapot! Felt like a queen! They also have hats and props that you can wear! I was definitely in the mood for a crown as back in college i did set the trend for tiaras! Haha!

                 
    Me in the shoe garden having tea! 

Next course was the Larry Fynns Cabbage experience (i think!)
This was an interactive course, where in you peel a cabbage leaf, add your choice of condiments, theres salted egg, banana chips, cucumbers, gherkins, basil and cashews, place on the cabbage, roll it in and add this pimped up soy sauce. The cabbage seemed poached or boiled so you can easily roll it up. i like how this course grows on you. Jetro came out and gave us a little trivia about cabbage (plus points for the trivia!) he says cabbage is the number 1 vegetable that beats depression! You see, you learn something everyday! I like cabbage maybe thats why i'm not depressed! Hehe

Shortly after the beverage came out..
                        
     

I love this beverage! Its something with guava extract and seasonal fruits topped with watermelon and julienned apples and mint. It was so refreshing! Its rare that i fond on beverages and mocktails. This though, i can easily make an exception. I wanna know the recipe! Thats how bad i want some!

After our beverage we waited a long time. Like an hour or so, so all the time was allocated to chit chatting, selfies and eating the condiments from the cabbage course and rolling it in basil.

The main entree had two themes. Theres Chill and Happy, the happy course consisted of fish and the chill consisted of Lamb. I had the Chill Entree that was Spicy. You could choose spicy or not.

Somehow at first, some entrees came out with this black rice, but as the entrees kept on coming they were going out with pasta. I had no problems with the inconsistency. I enjoyed my pasta! 

My lamb came with spicy pasta which was delicious and a medium well slice of lamb. On top was like a slurry of apples. It was a new combination for me as I'm used to eating lamb with just mint jelly or rosemary and garlic. It was nice. The apple sauce was interesting. Sweet and chunky. My only problem was i could've used a better knife, i had this knife that looked like a balisong, and the sharp edge was on top not on the bottom. I ended up eating like a carnivore.

Dessert came.. In a test tube. No, that was the liquor. The dessert came in a shot class.


It was an absinthe with herbed vodka i think? Not quite sure And a shot glass what seemed like dark chocolate ganache with a candied walnut. Jetro came out again and explained that we should take the shot then eat the chocolate. Its a tradition in Van Gogh to say cheers in different languages so Jetro said why wont we try Nastorovia, cheers in russian (correct me if im wrong russian readers!) so we said Nastorovia! Drank up and ate the chocolate. Theres nothing i can critique with liquor, however the chocolate was too rich for my tasting. It was coating my throat i had to grab my tea and refreshing guava extract juice. But nonetheless, you cant deny me a candied walnut.


All in all our experience was great! I have to give props to Jetro for letting people in his home and personally cooking all our meals, in fact everyones meal! It felt like we know him and he's a friend cooking for all of us. It was a homey, soul food meal. With a lot of laughter included!

When paying the bill, you take a piece of paper. Roll up the money there and just drop it in the container near the bussing window inside the house. It was a great experience. The menu doesn't repeat that often so you might not get the same as I did, which makes me curious so I want to go back again!

Have you eaten at Van Gogh? What was your experience? let me know!

I dub thee 3.5 stars!


If everyone was Bipolar but cooked that good. Well, guess it wont be that bad of a world.

X

Van Gogh is Bipolar
154 Maginhawa St. Quezon City. next to Galli 
For reservations, text 09228243051

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.