The Rise of The Dark Lunch

Hello Again!
Another Weekend has passed and another lunch with the familia is about to be  blogged!

First, I just want to say thanks for the love! And even if I don't see you I know you're reading so thank you! It keeps me so pumped to write on this blog. So I will try my best to keep y'all entertained! Somethings you might want to look forward on Foodful Glory is I'll be posting this week my super anti fail cookie recipe! Also a budget friendly restaurant review! Are you guys liking it? Let me know! I'd sure love to hear from you guys! Be nice though! haha

Enough with the mushy part and onto the food. Are you curious about the title? It was indeed what I felt while entering the restaurant. It was quite a gloomy day but the rain already fell and while we were checking out menus the skies have cleared yet still the place was way too dark. It was a literal candlelight vicinity. Great for dates but not for family lunches. So a tip for all of you, if you want that perfect instagram photo from Cafe Ysabel you may want to sit where the windows are to get some light! I apologize as I didnt have my camera with me, all of the photos are from my sister and sisters friends' iPhones. Even with the HDR capacity and focus lenses the darkness still prevailed. But hopefully you'd get to see the food as there were some winners in the bunch!!

Appetizer
of course our "amuse bouche" was dessert. The two way clams were not available so what other way to go right? they had a pastry case full of pastries and i was so intrigued by the chocolate paradise I just had to get it! We also got another one which was a Strawberry Shortcake.




Stawberry Shortcake
Chocolate Paradise


The Strawberry Shortcake was very nice. Nice tartness to the strawberries that were jam like, reduced in its own juices and sugar, the cake was light but not dry. everyone enjoyed it.
However, the Chocolate Paradise made me think, what Paradise? Maybe a Forest? As the Cherry Liquer that was dominating the the chocolate ganache was making it feel it was one dark forest. Plus the Cake was a bit dry.

I wouldve chosen smaller plates and the caramel drizzled on my cakes but thats just me. Maybe they can kick up a notch on plating to compensate on the darkness (meanie alert!)

Entrees came in all at the same time, so that would usually compensate the serving time. As we ordered seafood that doesnt really match up with risotto in cooking time. But nonetheless I like food coming all at the same time. You dont have that person (who is usually me) who waits for their order for ages while everyone already has theirs and you dont want their food to get cold so you tell them go ahead. So for the that, plus points for Cafe Ysabel.

Seafood, Saffron, Prosciutto Risotto
 To start off, The risotto was salty. If the Chef is a smoker, please keep in mind to under season your risotto. If not, I have no excuses for you. This was not my favorite nor my sisters friends' favorite. And she ordered it! It was also too loose for my preference. Bordering a congee feel as my other sister would say! Hopefully will be improved!
Chef Gene's Marketday Shrimps
 I ordered the Marketday Shrimps. The simplicity of shrimped tossed in butter and garlic and hit with minced parsley is always a winner to me. But I knew there was something wrong. I'm assuming they called this Marketday Shrimps as it was bought on the same day at a market but this didnt have that vibe. I was thinking what was wrong with the dish I ordered half way home and I could only think of two reasons. That 1.) these arent marketday shrimps and simply frozen bought. 2.) It was a bad choice of shrimps. I was missing the succulent taste of saltwater coming from the shrimps. And quite under seasoned.

Marinara Pasta (I think)
 The Marinara Pasta I kinda liked. It was a nicely seasoned bowl of pasta with an extra kick just to get your taste buds going.

Willy's Fettuccine
 We all liked this. My family particularly liked this simply because of the parmesan bowl. Though they thought it was a taco! Just the right amount of truffles and nicely seasoned. I do recommend you order this and have a try!

Truffle Pizza
And the winner of all!! The Truffle Pizza alone is 5 stars! Again Just the right amount of truffles and real truffles! Cheese slabbed on a well made thin crust. Everybody wanted a second piece, and even fighting for a share! I truly recommend this and I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

Molten Chocolate Cake
 Lunch ended with 4 ramekins of Chocolate Souffle and a molten Chocolate cake. I'm beginning to think that anything chocolate in that place involved a Kirsch or Grand Marnier Cherry Brandy. I am not pleased. I have a picture running in my head of the Pastry Chef with his evil laugh with two bottles of Cherry Liquer going wild and splattering anything chocolate with it. I have no issues with the texture of the cake and it's molten character. The cherry liquer is just too damn overpowering. There I said it! i do appreciate though the  stringed sugar. It takes a heat resistant hand to make those. I sure know how hot it takes to make those cotton candy like sugar strings. The rhum raisin ice cream I'd rather not comment.




the chocolate souffle was delish! This is the taste of what a souffle should taste like. It was great to end a meal with this. Plus one order is good for 2. meaning one order of the Souffle you get two ramekins thats why we had 4! Simple and just the way it should be. Just enough to put a smile on your face.










All in all it was a good eat. 3.5 stars just because the Truffle Pizza made it worth fighting for! hehe We had our daily dose of chit chats around good food so it was a great experience. Finally we can check off that Old Filipino House with the Mini Courtyard Restaurant out of our Checklist and not wonder whats in there!

Depending on what you order. Food ranges from 200-600++. If you are sharing might as well allot 600-700 per person.



Inside Cafe Ysabel (Sit near the window for instagramming!!)
Sister and Mum Happy Foodies! Hashtag Happybelly!

Huge Koi Fish splashing away infront of Cafe Ysabel




Have you guys eaten at Cafe Ysabel? Whats your experience? was there any good food that I missed? Let me know!


Café Ysabel

 is located at 455 P. Guevarra Street, San Juan Metro Manila
We can accommodate your every need please contact us for reservations and catering:
Telephone Numbers: (632) 726-9326 and (632) 725-5089
For Reservations and Inquiries: reservation@cafeysabel.com



Arivederci!! Have a great week ahead!!

xxx

P.S. Photo Credits to Jec Calalang and My Sister Nescyn

2 comments:

Powered by Blogger.