They Say It's The Best! (Ukokkei Ramen Ron)

Theres a sad part of me that wants to be a Ramen fan but for so long with a couple of cold unidentified ramens that have been consumed, the closest that i can say that i like is a packet of beef lucky me mami. With egg.

Maybe some of the factors why I don't like ramen is because there are a lot of unidentified things in it. Like i've seen parts of I can only think of are crustaceans that I've never seen before and these weird white and pink swirls of maybe processed meat or a form of gluten that looks like a Lisa Frank stationary scented pad, so for me, if it doesn't look like "normal" food, well, its probably not going in my mouth. 

So again, a family food trip, with sisters and friends who enjoyed ramen, we visited a fairly sized establishment that nestled in the roads of Arnaiz and I am quite familiar with the place as I have had my fair shares of Beer Pong games in the area (haha!) their lies Ukokkei Ramen Ron. Maybe I have glimpsed this placed but never really looked at it as the signage had a vibe of a shabu shabu place (again, shabu shabu, also not my thing! A lot of unidentified things boiling away!) i worked near the place long enough to block out the korean ktv places, the shabu shabu places and apparently the ramen places as well! 

But there it was, like what a Japanese restaurant would look like. Those seats that look like you are seated on the floor but actually has a big hole so your feet can stretch, a kitchen that looks like the cooks are in an aquarium because of the glass to look like a "show kitchen". Everything was in place. So in my head I might be calling for a drive through at Mcdonalds on the way home. Noodles everywhere and i was wishing there were like tonkatsu's on the menu. nothing. So my sister ordered 3 bowls of Ramen and some Gyoza. Then i saw "curry rice" and told her to add that to the order as i was starved. Then my Curry Rice came to the table. And my appetite changed.


Non pretentious food, in your face, nothing fancy for the amount you pay is accepted only if its really good. And this one was. It did put a smile on my face as it tastes like my mum's curry. I finished all of it. I really enjoyed it. The aroma of curry and its creamy goodness, served over rice with I'm assuming pickled radish or onion is lovely. Surely everyone i was eating with agrees.

Tan tan men has this creamy yet not too thick of a broth. I only had about two spoonfuls of it and I have to say it was delicious. Warm, fulfilling bowl of broth and Noodles. Everything was straight forward, no stationary pads floating about in the broth! No wonder the Ramen Nazi puts high pride in his ramen. And i think he wasn't there as we didn't get scolded in taking so many pictures! Haha 
Gyoza was okay. I must admit i have had better.


                  
I think this is Ukokkei's Miso butter corn ramen. Now knowing my back story with ramen, this is yet the only ramen that I have tasted that is really good. Like i would have it again.The broth is like a piece of art that i will never have the patience to learn again. We briefly scratched the surface of miso's and other japanese food in college and just by that alone it's like your eyebrows, i think its best to leave it to the experts. And how genius and entertaining for me to see that knob of butter on the corn! Just adds another dimension to this bowl of wonder. Clearly it is my favorite.
                  
Hot tea for me.

            
    Pleasantly surprised that there was a big bowl of ramen noodles behind us that we thought was just a wood design or to my sisters friends saying "rattan inspired separator!" Still when we noticed it, it was amusing. It was a great meal with good service. All of us enjoyed so i do recommend you to visit! Prices range around 200-400 pesos.

Ukokkei Ramen Ron

Arnaiz Ave.

Ground Level, Paseo Tesoro Bldg.
822 A. Arnaiz Avenue (formerly Pasay Road)
Makati, Metro Manila, Philippines 
Phone Number
(+63 2) 856-4588
Operating Hours
Monday to Sunday 11:00am to 2:30pm for lunch and 5:00pm to 10:00pm for dinner
You must go early if you want the Tantanmen I heard they only serve limited bowls a day some say only 10 some say not more than 20 so I'm guessing not more than 30 bowls throughout the day.

We headed to Serendra to get our dessert fix.

Chez Karine redeemed itself from last weeks bitter puddings. They might have to check consistency of their puddings or maybe also if its nearly going bad then chuck it out. Muscovado pudding and strawberry Panna Cotta were delicious. I do have one suggestion for the Panna Cotta, maybe less gelatin and it would be perfect!
The haul of the Macarons wasn't that exciting. Everything lacked of what it should be and I guess i was looking for that almond depth from the Macarons.


I like my drink though. My sister said the chocolate orange drink is delicious too. Next visit i will try!



We also had Sonja's but again, I am disappointed. Has no one ever told them that their cupcakes are dry? Its consistently dry. As i have tried a cupcake when they opened, a couple in 2011and another last year and each and everyone is dry. I hope they could fix it. Cause they look good but the cupcake itself is just not worth it.


Going back home we stopped by The Iscreamist in Maginhawa and sad that there wasn't any pistachio left so we got Butter Pecan and Toasted Marshmallows. Still the same all of its rich yet light and not too sweet anglaise, perfection! We had to do the dragons breath and it was still fun as i remembered sporting the bull breath instead though! Look at me and my sister:

Sorry for the pics. This was just a screen shot from the video my sisters friend took!
Me, all fluffeh and smokin liquid nitrogen haha!

My Sister! Of course i didn't post the screen shots of us with bull smoke out of our noses! Hehe..

Butter Pecan
Toasted Marshmallows
Smores. Aka Dragons Breath!
Oh, while we were at the Iscreamist we also indulged at Gourmandise's eclairs we bought at Serendra...
Our favorites obviously, Salted Caramel and the Raspberry Dulce de Leche.

It was a super feast Sunday! Some may bond over going to church, or exercising or going out of the city but ours is definitely eating and movies. But eating number one of course. So to more eating out on Sundays! Maybe i should start a hashtag? #SuperEatSunday ?? Haha how was your weekend?


(All photos from Jec Calalang and My sister Nescyn via iPhone)

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.