The Day I Wore Blue to The Land of Green and White!




 Would you believe, it's been almost 4 years and 11 Batches since I've had my internship here? Yet still, walking down that small road (sounds like a jennifer hudson song!), passing through that arched concrete hole and opening the glass door was always a delight and within that 5 second walk I'm already smiling. Here's a little throwback. Batch 19 of the Solomon Guest House was a group of people who were determined even if we were delayed in our curriculum. A group of dorky, comic and full of life people who loved to laugh, Laughed even under pressure yet was still able to put out good meals to our beloved foodies!
Photos!!

Me working the Cold Station the Asian pose was so 2009

This small little square where you pick up orders is still there!
Miss you SGH Batch 19!!

SGH Batch 19 THS Shift with one MWF-er! hehe

The "Tiramisu" A Solomon Guest House Classic! They Still Have it!
But enough about our batch. I just want to put it out there that I'm one happy Benildean because SGH is still up there and getting better and better and my meal well, our fiesta with 2 of my friends were in our happy place gobbling on our Pinoy Posh Plates! Our money was well spent. I think we consumed more than half whats on the menu (which I shouldn't be boasting about cause we were only three! Gluttony FTW!)
Service was amazingly quick (or maybe we came in after the lunch rush) everything looked appetizing and thank goodness they have new plates! So I wont keep you waiting here it goes..

Loving the napkin holders! I want one!
Check out the banderitas (colorful fiesta flags). We were in for a fiesta!






Who could go wrong with the Filipino Theme! everything on the menu looked good and sounded good in my head! Bagoong, Bicol Express Tapa, Sisig. All the classics. It was a miracle though that Adobo was not in sight! 

We orders some drinks to start of and Appetizers (Pampagana)
Mr. Suave. Made with Mint Leaves and Calamansi Juice
Sugarfree. Pineapple juice, OJ, Calamansi Juice  and I think Grenadine?
 Not a fan of Calamansi juice but Mr. Suave was the ultimate winner! I love how the mint compliments the sweetness and sourness of the calamansi juice.

Streetfood Platter! Kwek Kwek (Quail eggs in an orange batter) is my favorite!

Asado Buffalo Wings-  A must order! Sweet and salty, nice light but stable batter coating the chicken!  Delicious!
Rizza finally joined us so we started to order entrees:

Crispy Bagnet
 The Crispy Bagnet was okay or I just didn't eat it as soon as it arrived at our table. I do love the Atchara (pickled unripe papaya occasionally with carrots and onions)
Dory Patty with Bicol Express Sauce
 Nice dish. Would've loved if it wasn't made into a patty. Maybe have this with an extra rice for the bicol express sauce is good on its own!
Crispy Pancit
 This was one of our favorites! the texture is not the only one giving its throne but the play of the viands in it like squid balls and a very asian way to top it off with an over easy egg!
Crispy Kare-Kare
 Words cannot give justice to this plate. I only eat one kind of Kare-Kare and that is my Mum's. But this is actually pretty good. Who doesnt love a peanut sauce generously glazed on crsipy pork morsels and that hit of saltiness from the bagoong (shrimp paste). I will come back for this. Lots of this please!!
Cajun Chicken.
 Of course we had to order the classics. Sorry this picture does not show how nice the plate was! Photo taken by Rizza! She was too busy eating and not be bothered to focus the camera! hahaha We wanted to order the roast beef but it wasn't available.
Sisig
The sisig was okay. Needed a bit more crispiness and flavor. Yet I commend that they stood by the original sisig and really used pork jowl.

Could you imagine we were only 3 consuming all of this and we had I think 5 cups of rice! 

Believe it or not we still had space for dessert! None of us were stretching or standing up. I think through the years we have mastered the art of eating. No sign of surrender whatsoever!

                                                 Tablea Molten Lava Cake (I Think)
Choc Nut Cupcake

 I dont know if this is a regular, it wasn't on the menu. We were supposed to order the Puto Bumbong Cupcake but it was not available. I love this! I was going to take home two but they ran out! The cupcake had a great crumb on it, just enough sweetness and density. Just what a cupcake should be so dont be fooled by those expensive cupcakeries out there (dont wanna name names but they are everywhere!) This cupcake is the standard what cupcakes should be like. A great classic chocolate cupcake with peanut buttercream frosting with Choc Nut on top! Childhood euphoria!!
Fried Halo-Halo
Loving this simple plate. I don't eat Halo Halo but according to my friends they loved this. Just think Halo-Halo without the Ice and Milk wrapped in a wonton wrapper and you got yourself this! The Caramel Drizzle was spot on! Not to bitter and creamy! I can go on and on!!



HAPPY CUSTOMERS!



If you visit now and spend worth 250 pesos you get a loyalty card! You have to get this before the term ends that's around August!

If you dont get your appetite running just by looking at the pictures then you have no love for food! You do not have a heart I tell yah! The best part is food only costs around 60-130 pesos drinks are around 35-40 pesos. So I command you go to Solomon now!! What a great meal.. With laughter from friends I haven't seen in weeks! 

After I guess 2 hours we managed to have ice cream and coffee at Vatel. Again, a miracle!
Edible Flowers Centerpiece at each Table at Vatel

Cerveza Negra Ice Cream! Pot- Pot's Original Recipe still used here!

My Shot of Macchiato

It was a food trip to remember! Everything starts and ends with good food and good company and I sure had both today! It was great to see the Alma Mater again despite big renovations going on. Reminiscing the streets we used to hang out at, the people, street children and vendors we have made friendships with. truly green and white people are the only ones who can make bonds like these.

So I hope you enjoyed this entry! I'm still trying to get down the food that I ate! And do visit!

The Solomon Guest House
1025 C. Ayala St. corner Arellano, Malate Manila
Operating Hours: Monday - Friday: 8:00AM to 6PM, Saturday: 8:00AM - 2:00PM
Telephone Number: +632 536 6416
Vatel Restaurant

Angelo King International Center, 1004 Manila, Philippines
Telephone Number: 5238888 Local 272

P.S. The Solomon Guest House and Vatel Restaurant will be having Fine Dining Events. For Vatel Restaurant this will be on July 18-19 and Solomon Guest House will start on July 18-19 and will have I think one more set the week after that. Please call for more inquiries. And I might see yah there! 
xxx


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.