Tony's Prawns

May 10, 2015
Hello everyone! Good day!

A month hiatus yet again so from the very hollow bottom of my dark soul i apologize! I kid, i kid!


I've experimented yet again in my semi-hipster kitchen, (really you have to see it, i love how it looks nowadays) and was a hit with the family and my lovely giddy. most of the time not helpful taste eaters (sorry friendships! haha) and I myself loved how it turned out so I am sharing this recipe with you guys! If you're wondering why the title is such is because Tony is the main endorser of the main ingredient I'm using! So brace yourselvess!

When in Singapore, I always always have this dish at least once when I'm there and I love it more than chili crab and everyones favorite Bak Kuh Teh (do you know bak kuh teh is like pork tea? just saying sounds very asian to me!) So if you haven't guessed by now what I'm making, its simply the most lovely Cereal Prawns!


I know my photos suck, I am but not a photographer but I promise you this dish is divine!

Though it is not as the same as you can get anywhere in the streets of Singapore but it comes close!

So this is my homage to the humble Cereal Butter Prawns and I hope you guys like it as much as I do! This might be a great substitute for all my American/European readers however I am not sure if Curry Leaves are accessible to you lot. I myself is having a hard time finding it here in the Philippines, so what I did is bought fresh curry leaves from Singapore from my last visit and dried them out in the oven to preserve them. Sorta like bay leaves, they did retain their flavor so I am one happy kid!

 So here is what you'll be needing:

350g of Prawns (i'm using shrimp here so thats about 16-20 pieces of small shrimp) roughly 6-8pcs Prawns
1 tbsp All Purpose Flour
1tbsp Cornstarch
1tsp Salt
3Tbsps of unsalted butter
1 egg beaten
5 g of curry leaves or 10-15 pcs.

For the Cereal Mix you'll be needing:

2 Cups of Corn Flakes
1tsp Salt
2 1/4 tsp Sugar
11/2 tsps of Chili Powder
3 Tbsps of Milk Powder

Vegetable Oil for frying

First make your cereal mix.

Combine in a bowl your corn flakes, salt, sugar, chili powder and milk powder.















Then transfer it to a ziplock.













With a rolling pin gently pound on the cereal mix til you break them into small pieces. Then give your a ziplock a shake so all the ingredients will distribute thoroughly.






 You have to clean your shrimp/prawns by de-veining them and clipping their crawlers off.

Add the flour, cornstarch and salt and mix till all the shrimp/prawns are coated.


Once you've prepped everything now comes the cooking part!

Melt some 1tsp butter in a pan and add a tsp of vegetable oil as well.
 

fry your beaten egg then set aside and cut into strips or any shape for that matter! Its really up to you!

Then with the same oil in the pan fry for a minute or two your curry leaves. Set it aside with your egg.

Now take your prawns and and fry it until orange in color (around 2 mins)





Now time for the cereal!




Melt the remaining 2 tbsps of butter in the same pan you fried your shrimp (take out the vegetable oil though) and then add your cereal mix. Toast the cereal for about 2-3 mins.










Then add the Curry Leaves then the shrimp/prawns.
Mix well then off the heat add your egg and voila! Tony's Prawns are grrrrreat! (see what i did there? haha okay that'll be my last lame joke for this post!)

               
The original Cereal Prawns call for sili padi and the cereal is more wheat flour. I enjoyed this recipe as it gives more crunch and the cereal mix itself is delicious! Can be topped on hot rice and its a treat I tell you!



I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! I'm definitely going to cook it again! Have a great week ahead!

x

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.