The iFoodography: Boracay Chapter

January 04, 2015
Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

To all the foodsters (because foodie is just so out there nowadays) who had enjoyed a christmas roast or a lechon or two over the holidays, dont go in a food guilt trip as I want you to know you were not alone!

2015 started a bit rough for me but its best to keep it positive and surround yourself with happiness and love. Doesnt the holidays just make you a mushy person?

Anyways, you know eating is my utmost finest quality, and here I am again with the iFoodography Chapters as I take you to my experience of one of my beloved places I have so much fond and not so fond memories of, no other place than Boracay.


For some crazy reason, which was decided almost a year ago around when it was sunny and boiling hot in the city and the thought of beach, waves and lying in the sand was the best idea and home alone never came into mind!,
travelling during the holidays, cancelled flights, delayed flights and all that jazz, fair warning from this movie! (photo grabbed from google)
 the family decided to spend Christmas at Boracay for 2014. After long decisions and planning, we were successful! We had little bumps like the countdown of Christmas, my other sisters were still on a van to get there but what matters was Christmas day we were together!
So fast forward to the present, I wont deny that I had indulged well good enough that it can suffice for the next Holiday, but food is food. And its what I live for! Let me expose some of the good eats around Boracay that maybe one day you'll pay a visit too!

Hope it'll get your appetite going and maybe a little inspiration to go that extra nudge in preparing a nice meal for your loved one.. So here it goes!
White House Resort: San Juan Cafe

Since this is where I stayed for 8 days and 7 nights, its only logical that we've spent most of our days just in front of our hotel lounging and of course munching on what they have to offer.

Might as well get my thoughts out of the way about this place. I knew about white house, because this is where I celebrated my 18th, and coming back after 6 years, the rooms didnt change one bit! Nostalgic at the same time concerning, cause you couldnt help but say, I think they need some renovations here and there, like some doors were chipped, the bathroom tiles looked old, the air conditioning wasn't cold, ripped linens and pillow cases were still used... you can really tell that it didn't have a change for 6 years! It couldve gotten away if you weren't paying 200 dollars a night, but in this case we did pay 200++ dollars a night.

Staff were nice to our family, they loved my niece Tala as every morning they would greet us with warm smiles, my only issue was its clear that the restaurant and the front office have no clear understanding of each other. its like they aren't in one hotel. For example before you could have breakfast in your room, when I asked the reception if this was still possible she said yes, just call the restaurant, when I called, the restaurant said no. When I asked if I can pay my bill when I get back the restaurant said I can pay at the front office anytime, and when I payed around late in the evening the front office said I cant pay because the restaurant is closed. I just needed a little clarity as they were obviously two heads in very different places. But besides that it was pretty okay.

Food! I don't know why their restaurant had to have this Chef everywhere which I find it mildly annoying and amusing at the same time. Annoying, as you can only respect Chefs who put there name everywhere if they earned Michelin Stars and amusing because if there is any fault with the food you can just easily blame that dude on the menu or on the restaurants sign.






Truffle Fries were delicious! However I wasn't informed that I was in for a spoiler.




Their Bagnet Kare-kare was also drowned in truffle oil, which couldve been a nice dish if it weren't for a truffle mishap.














Turon was a stunner, how could you go wrong with turon, beach side?

even the Angus burger had truffle oil. I mean its nice to be indulgent, but indulgent doesn't equate to splash everything with truffle oil. Chef Martin Jickain, the secret is good seasoning, fresh produce and good cooking! Thats all you need. Spare the lives of the tartufo!


Fridays:
 Just a couple blocks away from White House at Station 1 is an oldie goodie, Fridays has been our happy hour go-to ever since. We truly enjoyed the pizzas there. all were tasty and a well baked crust can soften any hard heart!

The Molten Lava Cake had changed from what I have remembered. The outside cake was almost pancake like, and the lava inside was a cheat! i know this cause Ive made true lava cakes in my day for 6 months straight, with this knowledge (a feeling lava cake connoisseur ) I can tell the lava was chilled ganache and just put in the cakes and heated til it was melted and not baked with the cake! Their bad cause when i opened the cake i could still see a little bit of that balled up ganache inside just slightly melted and it was a bit cold. Cover your tracks Fridays! haha i'm watching you. :)

The English Bakery was a small restaurant in station 3, back in 2006 we discovered this little place while walking down at station 3 (because back in the day we could walk for miles! haha) and just saw the vibrant sign, and cool aesthetic of Filipino woven mats across the walls of the interior and the incorporation of British items, such as posters, and plates and maps. It just felt homey plus the food didn't disappoint. Now the place isn't at the beachfront anymore, located I think in Station 2 now but at the back, you have to cross the main road. Just ask the tricycle drivers where Bolabog Apartelle is or the English Bakery and they'll bring you there.


A very straight forward meal with toast and butter on the side with your choice of coffee or tea.
of course I had tea. It was a powerful breakfast indeed.
you can go with the straight british breakfast which I forgot what they called it but it comes with tomatoes, toast, eggs, sausage and bacon (i think) Prices are very decent. Probably can cure all station 2 party goers hangover!

Sa'nee Thai at D'Mall


This was their Gai Krapao which is right up there in terms of genuine flavor. I prefer this place over Thai Basil hands down! Curries, Som Tam is more authentic here then at the other thai restaurant at D'Mall. Plus a bit more affordable. Will definitely come back to this place whenever I go back to the Island!












True Food


 True Food is obvioulsy indian cuisine. I've eaten here before a couple of times.  I fairly enjoyed the curries and my samosa, Still, my mum's indian curry is the top notcher, their curries however are quite up there!
 
 Still, i love the place, sitting down on the floor and enjoying the breeze of the sea, it was nice and cool, great for a spicy food night!



Lastly, Gasthof


This place has been here since the early times I have been to Boracay, surely a mainstay of the Island. Beachfront, al fresco dining, enjoying native and western cuisines and entertainment from the local fire dancers. The simple joys of the humble vacation goer. Nothing to critic about the food. Food and booze is just so comforting, The ribs just made my day.

                                                    Prawn Sinigang
Juicy and Saucy Ribs. Now thats life on a plate.






Garlic Lemon Butter Prawns



















I think its best to say that my Holiday feast was nothing compared to that sad and lonely lechon you had on Christmas day haha!

A family that eats together, stays together. That best explains my family and my life.

Hope you guys enjoyed this post! Let me know your experience in Boracay. Where did you guys eat? I wanna know!

Also before I end this I just wanna thank all of you who made the effort to email me to wish me a happy holiday! I hope you all have had a happy holiday as well (sorry I just checked my email today! d'oh!)

So let me know your thoughts, what you want to see on the blog this year, and more of your stories and feedbacks I'll be checking frequently now haha! Have a great week ahead guys!

Toasting my lion bar to all of you!
x

2 comments:

Powered by Blogger.